The skin loses moisture to the air during the cold, dry winter months. Therefore, it’s important to understand how to keep infants, especially those who have just been born, warm during the winter.
A doctor advised covering the baby’s clothing for the cold. Warmth the hands, feet, and head. Don’t use synthetic materials. Use wool, cotton, and flannel. If the room is warm or if the heater is running, it is also a good idea to alter the clothing and coverings at the same time. It could be uncomfortable if the baby feels too warm. Keep a half-bucket of water in the room for moisture if the heater is on. For the baby, stay away from warm blankets or quilts. Two light coverings are preferable to one very heavy one.
Because a baby’s skin is so delicate, it must adjust to the cold of winter. It can quickly dry out. Babies frequently complain of chapped lips, sensitive noses, and scraped elbows. Redness, burning, and other symptoms of irritation of the skin are common.
How to take care of your baby during the winter
Here are some straightforward wintertime baby care suggestions:
- Overlay your baby’s regular outfit with one more layer. Wear cosy wool and cotton clothing to promote skin-breathing.
- Keep your infant warm and dry.
2. Safeguards to take while outside
- In the cold, keep your infant inside more often; • When travelling, a soft-lined cardigan is preferable to a big coat.
- To keep the body warm, wear hats, cosy boots, warm socks, and mittens or gloves. As an added measure, cover your baby’s ears and cheeks with a wool hat.
- As soon as you get into a warm car or go outside, remove the hat and extra clothing.
3. Precautions to be taken at home
- Avoid using blankets, cushions, or loose bedding in the baby’s crib to prevent suffocation. • Give your infant an oil massage after bathing in the winter.
- In the crib, place a small blanket that only covers the infant’s chest and tuck it tightly beneath the mattress.
4. Additional safe practises
- Because exposure to viruses is more likely in the winter, infants may contract the flu. To stop the spread of germs, wash your hands thoroughly with water and soap before handling your infant.
- Keep your baby’s skin well moisturised if they suffer from dry skin.
Precautions for baby protection during weather changes are crucial for their wellbeing. Avoid exposing your baby to ill people, and pay special attention to them as they are unable to communicate their discomfort. With good care during each season, your kid can remain healthy all year.
Parents can bath their newborn by following the directions indicated below:
Every day or every other day, give your infant a warm bath. using oils, such as coconut or almond, to massage the baby before bath time helps the skin stay moisturised and does other good things.
- After a bath, don’t totally dry the skin. After taking a bath, apply a moisturiser with white soft paraffin using a soft cotton towel. Avoid using moisturisers with additional preservatives and chemicals.
- Use light soap. For routine bathing of infants and children, antiseptic-containing soaps are not necessary.
Winter Skincare Advice For baby
In order to protect their bodies from the damaging effects of viruses and germs that typically become more active in the winter, newborn babies need special care until their immune systems are stronger.
- Maintain a warm temperature in the baby’s room.
To maintain a warm environment in the baby’s room, use a portable heater. The overuse of a heater causes the air to become dry. So, to maintain a balance in the moisture levels, keep a humidifier on.
- Using a moisturiser
The harsh, dry, and cold air might dry up the baby’s skin because it is so delicate. Apply a quality moisturiser as a result to maintain it soft and smooth. When choosing a moisturiser for children, look for one that has butter and milk cream. Your baby’s skin will remain soft as a result.
Your baby’s skin needs to be massaged frequently to stay supple and healthy. Strength can be increased through improving blood circulation, which massage aids in doing. To give your child a massage, use a natural oil. Make sure the space where you massage the infant is warm.
- Maintain proper hygiene
In the winter, mothers should exercise caution when caring for newborns. Your infant will initially come into contact with you. Therefore, be careful to maintain your personal hygiene and good health.
Common Problems That Newborns baby May Face During the Winter:
- Skin sensitivity
- Intestinal problems
Read Article: Best Baby Blankets in India 2023
How Commonly Must You Bathe Your Baby in the Winter?
- Your infant doesn’t need to be bathed every day. In winter, you can wash your infant after two to three days. In the winter, you can sponge wash your infant every other day.
- Before giving your infant a bath, check the temperature of the space. Your infant should feel cosy and at ease in the space.
- Verify the water’s temperature. Make sure the water is not unusually hot or cold by checking it. The water’s temperature ought to be appropriate for your baby’s body. Use your elbow or wrist to check the water’s temperature.
To protect from the cold and disease throughout the winter, newborns require extra care. Mothers may assist their children to avoid the negative impacts of cold weather by following some crucial infant care advice. For the care and well-being of their newborns, mothers should heed these important recommendations.